Date:      16 Jan 2002 12:20:13 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        aran80@wintersperu.com.pe
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BACKUP SOFTWARE FOR FREEBSD

"Alvaro Rosales R." <aran80@wintersperu.com.pe> writes:

> Hi guys , I am a new user of FreeBSD , I used to be a Linux fanatic, but
> now Im having an affair with freebsd :> , It is really a good OS, but I
> want to use a backup system for my FreeBSD-server , Can you tell me
> about your experiences using Tape backups under FreeBSD and the
> software you use ?,

I've been *very* happy with Amanda, in the ports collection.  I have
it backup a few of my home boxes (FreeBSD, Solaris, Sunos) to a 4-tape
jukebox I picked up cheap. Runs every night. Schedules which
partitions to do and what dump levels based on priorities you assign
to each, in case they won't all fit on one tape.  www.amanda.org

If you've only got one system and one tape drive it's overkill, but
still nice to have running to automate your backups.  Saved my butt a
couple times when I lost a disk, since it ran everynight without my
intervention. :-)

Hasta lluego...