Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:57:57 -0600
From:      Eric_Stanfield@kenokozie.com
To:        Keith Walker <kew@icehouse.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using BIND in a local, bogus network

What exactly is your nameserver looking for when it's causing these
dial-ups?  Is it calling the internic root-servers, doing axfr's from some
other host, etc....?  Got a snippet of a sniffer log you could post?

Eric Stanfield, K2Access
Keno Kozie and Associates
222 N LaSalle #1500
Chicago, IL 60606
(312) 332-3000

                    Keith Walker
                    <kew@icehouse.net>               To:     Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
                    Sent by:                         cc:     freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
                    owner-freebsd-questions@F        Subject:     Re: Using BIND in a local, bogus network
                    reeBSD.ORG

                    01/05/01 09:58 AM

On Thursday 04 January 2001 10:07 pm, Nick Slager wrote:
> Thus spake Keith Walker (kew@icehouse.net):
> > In my perfect world, the firewall would have a named running that would
> > be a domain master for the bogus network, would cache "real" addresses,
> > and just generally, DTRT.
> >
> > I've had *some* success with this, but I cannot get the nameserver to
> > quit forcing dial-outs, keeping the modem connected almost 24/7.
>
> You might want to look into userland PPP's filters to stop the auto dial
> on DNS lookups. Have a look at the examples in /usr/share/examples/ppp.

I thought about that, but wouldn't that pretty much kill the name lookups?
mean, if a name wasn't cached, then the lookup by named wouldn't unless the

modem-link was already established since ppp wouldn't auto-dial out on a 53

packet. Or did I miss something here?

--
Keith Walker
kew@icehouse.net