Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 13:01:16 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
Cc:        Ken Stailey <kstailey@surfbest.net>, "."@babolo.ru, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLH10 port (was Re: [ade@FreeBSD.org: suggests installing in a USER's HOME dir])

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 12:53:58PM -0500, Ken Harrenstien wrote:

>Here's what I suggest:
>
>[1] Installation of the KLH10 port should build all the emulator
>binaries (including, eventually, the KL versions) and put everything
>needed for the next step in a shared location in /usr.  Exactly
>which location I don't care; /usr/local/klh10, /usr/share/klh10,
>whatever.  I'll use $SHARED/klh10 to illustrate my examples.
>
>[2] Installation of the PI ITS distribution, due to its large size,
>should not store its contents in /usr.  Perhaps it could store in
>$SHARED/its everything EXCEPT the filesystem image, and include a
>new "fetch-its" script that knows how to fetch said image from
>ftp.its.os.org.
>
>[3] A new "install-its" script must be provided that allows a user
>(root or otherwise) to install a runnable instance of the emulator
>plus ITS, based on the package contents previously installed.  This
>should:
>
>	Accept as argument, or create, a new KLH10_HOME owned by the user.
>	Symlink to (or copy) all the necessary files from $SHARED/klh10
>		and $SHARED/its.
>	Fetch and uncompress the PI ITS filesystem image, or accept a
>		filename to an existing image (tho if this is not owned by
>		the user, this is asking for big trouble).
>	Generate and modify a klh10.ini file for this instance.
>
>If you want to permit only root to run a networked KLH10, don't set any
>special bits on "dpimp".  But if you do want to permit this for anyone
>who is allowed to access the shared dpimp program, make it setuid-root.
>But the latter is definitely the most dangerous configuration.

And now we come full circle...

This is essentially what I had suggested eons ago.

Ken S.:

The one big advantage this has is that the installer of ITS
doesn't have to have access to the ports tree. I think this is a
worthwhile consideration. The "fetch-its" script could be a simple
shell script that calls "fetch".

Once you have the previously discussed method going, this is only a couple
of steps away. :)  I think it would be a big win to go the extra mile and do
it this way, once you've got the kinks ironed out.

Or you can even PR it the other way and change to this later. Maybe that's a
better way to do it.

I can help with the mods once the basic ports are done and committed.

--
Alan Eldridge
"Dave's not here, man."