Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 12:09:50 +1000 (EST)
From:      raoul@cssc-syd.tansu.com.au (Raoul Golan)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Too many UUCP checksum errors! Help!

Guys (& gals),

I've written about this before, but now I have a little more info.
I thought the noisy line was to blame, but it's not as simple as
that. It's not really a serious problem anymore, but something
that I'm curious about.

This is my situation.  I'm using 2.0.5-RELEASE, and I'm getting lots
of checksum errors on UUCP over my 16550A UART, mostly due to lost
bytes.  I swap cards to a 16450 UART, and the problem disappears.
I tried using the 16550A UART again, this time with the FIFO
disabled in the kernel, but the checksum errors were still there.

I have a noisy line, so I always enable the modem's error correction.
I don't get a single checksum error over the 16450, but lots of lost
bytes over the 16550A.

I have enabled crtscts, and disabled xon/xoff.  I must be doing this
OK, since I get no problems over the 16450.

Also, I used to run Linux UUCP over the same line.  No problems there,
even with the 16550A.

One more thing: the 16550A is on a VESA slot, wheras my 16450 is
on an ISA slot.  I have a DX4-100, i.e. my clock speed is 33, so
I don't really expect the bus speed to be causing any problems
(especially since Linux works at the same speed).  I usually
connect at 14.4K, but the situation is the same regardless of
the modem speed I connect at.  Funny thing is that I can run
Netscape quite happily over the same UART without any problems -
perhaps SLIP handles lost bytes better than the UUCP protocols?
(BTW, I don't run UUCP over tcpip, but through direct dialup)

Also, I get nothing about serial problems in /var/log/messages.

It's no big deal for me to use a 16450, just to get FreeBSD UUCP
to run.  It sounds like the 16550A driver could be dropping bytes,
but I'm not sure.  I'm just interested in what could be going wrong.
I was hoping that this additional information may give someone a
hint as to what's happening.

Thanks to you all,

Raoul