Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:27:42 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Jay Chandler <chandler.lists@chapman.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disk Space Requirements

In the last episode (Jan 26), Jay Chandler said:
> I've got a VPS running FreeBSD 6.1 p5.
>
> I'd like to upgrade it to 6.2 if possible, or at least 6.1 p11.
>
> I've got four gigs of disk allocated to the box.  Is this enough
> space to rebuild the OS from source within?

You need less than 500MB of space for /usr/obj.  I recently upgraded a
system with almost-full drives by mounting a 1GB flash drive on
/usr/obj, and it didn't get over half full.  If you don't already have
a checked-out /usr/src tree, that'll require another 500MB.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com