Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 07:35:46 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootstrapping FreeBSD/Alpha

Warner Losh wrote:
> : 1.  Mount /usr/src from another (FreeBSD) machine.
>
> Is this required?

No. I tried using a symbolic link from /usr/src to the NFS mounted
directory, but I kept getting caught up in the way that the include
files and directories are installed. When I mounted the directory
directly, these problems went away. I don't know if it is a problem
with the style of build that FreeBSD uses or the hybrid tools that
result from building one OS on another. If you have source directly
in /usr/src you have nothing to worry about.

I thought I'd mention it just in case.

> I plan on playing with this this afternoon.

Good.

I've hacked a local version of version of libc and I'll try to get
the build further today (although I really should be working on
paid stuff). I need to ask some design questions of a few people
before I can finalize how libc will be. I'll only be able to commit
changes to libc after those decisions have been made.

Regards,

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137