Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:46:25 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        greeves <sysadmin@mfn.org>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'Tim Gerchmez'" <fewtch@serv.net>
Subject:   Re: Fragmentation?

greeves wrote:

> The "traditional" way to defrag a *nix native partition is to dd from your
> (to be defragged) partition to a temporary area, and then back again (after
> clearing the original space of all files of course!)
> .
> Granted, this is a *collossal* pain in the &#^$, but it is *very* fast, and
> *totally* effective.

dd'ing the data off - you might be lucky if it's going to an identical
drive, but surely - if you dd back onto your original drive, your just
making a verbatim copy - fragmentation at all?

I could understand 'backing' up the drive to some other drive / media,
nuking the original - and then restoring the data (e.g. dump & restore) -
but just using 'dd' is going to make an exact copy of the disk :-(  Isn't
it?

I've noticed - FreeBSD usually only fragments filesystems for a reason, i.e.
low on space...

Regards,

Karl Pielorz