Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 22:44:29 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Jun 27,  3:27pm, Wes Peters wrote:
> Subject: Re: Does it's true?
> My hidden microphone recorded Frank Pawlak (fpawlak@execpc.com) saying:
>
> % Again, not taking any particular position on gun control, but relating my
> % experience with wild animals as a once avid hunter, I can say that having %
> spent
> % many hours alone in the forested areas of northern Wisconsin, I never had a
> % problem being attacked by anaimals.  Granted the species native here differ
> % from those of the West.  People here had a fear of the wolf and created an
> % extinct species of animal which has resulted in big and growing problems
with
> % the deer herd.  They have been re-introduced here, and I hunted in areas %
> where
> % wolves were present and never had a problem.
> %
> % It has been my experience that in general wild animals fear man.  That
> % situation can and does change if the animal is injured or starving.  Man,
> % supposedly, having the higher intellect should be able ot get along with
> % animals and survive together just fine.  Yes there are risks when a human
> % enters the natural habitat of an animal, but knowing what you are doing
they
> % can be minimized without necessarily killing the animal first.
> %
> % BTW, I do have experience with wildlife in other parts of the US and in
other
> % countries.  The above pretty much holds true.
>
> No argument there.  I consider myself extremely lucky to have spotted a
cougar
> in the wild; most will never see one.  There are only reports of cougars
> attacking people about once every other year in the western US, and then it
is
> usually a small child who hasn't been taught how to deal with a cougar.
>
> Here in the Salt Lake Valley, we actually get to see them fairly frequently.
> young male, about 70 pounds, was captured wandering around the runways at
Salt
> Lake International Airport last year.  Early this year, a large male wandered
> into a tennis court and got stuck; animal control had to dart him to get him
> out because he was terrified of them.
>
> There are a few exceptions to the rule of wild animals staying away from
> humans, and they are all generally disastrous to the human involved.  These
> include grizzlies who've been fed by people and no longer fear them, any
polar
> bear, wolverines (ever meet one of THOSE in Minnesota?), (apparently)
javelinas
> (I've never met one), and the worst of all, feral cats.  There is a large
> population of feral cats in many of the small arroyos surrounding creeks in
> northern Utah, and people are badly bitten and scratched by them quite often.
> We've also had 3 or 4 incidents of black/brown/cinnamon bear attacks in the
> Wasatch mountains this decade - probably caused by people feeding the bears
and
> removing their natural fear of humans.
>
> Even given all this, I still choose to travel armed when in back country
where
> I know there are dangerous animals.  I thrill at seeing a cougar in the wild
> again, and completely acknowlege his right to be there, right up to the point
> where he tries to eat my two year old daughter, who DOES know that you never
> run away from a wild kitty.  And I would do the same thing taking here into
> places with other dangerous animals, like any city east of Denver.

Wes, I appreciate your view of man living in harmony with the surrounding
wildlife.  It is also refreshing to be in agreement with you on something. ;-)

Then you go and make a statement about any city east of Denver.  You are just
spoiling for a fight.  I fear that LA can hold its' own against either Chicago,
New York or even Detroit when it comes to dangerous animals.

Cheers,
Frank