Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2017 19:59:01 -0800
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to capture console messages during boot?

freebsd-questions:

I am attempting to build a graphical workstation using:

toor@freebsd:/root # freebsd-version
11.0-RELEASE-p7

toor@freebsd:/root # uname -a
FreeBSD freebsd 11.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p1 #0 r306420: Thu
Sep 29 03:40:55 UTC 2016
root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

toor@freebsd:/root # pkg info xorg | head -n 1
xorg-7.7_2

toor@freebsd:/root # pkg info xfce | head -n 1
xfce-4.12_1

As I add software and adjust configuration settings, invariably I create
or encounter issues.  Some of these generate warnings/ errors on the
console when the system boots.  I'd like to capture console messages
during boot, so that I can review them and fix things.

How?

TIA,

David

p.s. STFW has yielded outdated and/or unsatisfactory solutions, including:

	dmesg
	/var/log/messages
	Scroll Lock key and scrollback buffer