Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 1999 00:04:24 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>, Walter Campbell <wcampbel@botbay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange reboots

Usually, this is due to hardware, but sometimes it isn't. I discovered,
by accident, that failing to compile FreeBSD 2.2.7 or 2.2.8 with
the ATAPI_STATIC option would cause random reboots on some of our
systems. Probably a timing problem in the disk code. Never found out
what the race condition was, but did solve the problem by compiling
the kernel with different options.

--Brett