Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:15:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Akinori MUSHA <knu@iDaemons.org>, Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>, Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>, Pete Fritchman <petef@absolutbsd.org>, <portmgr@FreeBSD.org>, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, <ports@FreeBSD.org>, <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   REINPLACE

At tremendous risk to my sanity, I'm going to try and make a rather
obvious point one more time. You guys are putting a tremendous amount of
effort into this REINPLACE stuff in order to avoid the simple, clean
solution of not doing the patching 'in place' at all. I have the following
(or something similar) in several of my ports:

post-patch:
        @ ${CP} ${WRKSRC}/configure ${WRKSRC}/configure.Patched
        @ ${SED} -e 's#-lpthread#${PTHREAD_LIBS}#g' \
                ${WRKSRC}/configure.Patched > ${WRKSRC}/configure

It is 100% compatible with all freebsd systems, doesn't require
bsd.port.mk buggery, and avoids the problem of making perl regexp's
compatible with sed/awk/etc., because they have to be changed anyway.

Doug