Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 14:40:11 -0500
From:      Mark Hendriks <markh@lon.imag.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jim@freeze.org
Subject:   Re: How do I connect to my ISP via a modem

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Jim Freeze wrote:
> Pardon my newness, but I am looking for some assistance
> in getting my freeBSD connected to the internet.
> Coming from a windows paradigm, to connect to the internet,
> I use a dialup service and specify various dns and gateway
> settings, in addition to a phone number and modem connect
> speed. After dialing up, I am magically able to use my internet
> browser and connect to remote sites. Also, I am able to telnet
> and ftp. I would like to do the same with FreeBSD.
>
> On freeBSD, is there a similar mechanism? I have read the FreeBSD
> handbook on dialout service using tip or cu, but, so far, I have not
> been able to make any sense of this (ie making it work or figuring
> out what capabilities it provides. It is not clear if I get a connection
> with tip that netscape will work.).

Well, "Mr Freeze", for a newbie like you, I would recommend KDE as your
desktop environment.  Not only does it offer a Windoze-like look-and-feel,
more importantly for you, it comes with kppp, a dial-up program that is
much easier to set up than the ppp program that comes standard with
FreeBSD.

> Here are a few questions:
>
> 1. How do I determine what device bsd thinks my modem is using...cuaa0
>     or cuaa1...or whatever?
> 1b. Does it matter that the modem is a pcmcia card?

cuaa0 and cuaa1 correspond to what Windoze refers to as COM1 and COM2,
respectively.  I know that FreeBSD does offer some pcmcia support, but I
believe that this is a "work in progress."  Not sure if pcmcia modems are
supported, but if you have a laptop, you may be looking at getting an
external modem.

> 2. Where do I go to read more about obtaining a user dialup connection
>     to the internet. I would like to be self educated on this matter but
>     a little prompting to speed up the process would be appreciated.

You should be able to find everything you need to know in the handbook
that comes as part of the FreeBSD distribution "/usr/share/doc/handbook/"
However, as I said, if you go with KDE and use kppp, you can pretty much
skip the handbook.

Mark Hendriks
markh@lon.imag.net