Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 00:17:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        ccaputo@alt.net (Chris Caputo)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another NFS bogon in 2.2-stable?

In article <Pine.BSI.3.93.970923192356.3154M-100000@baklava.alt.net> you wrote:
> We are definitely seeing problems with nfsv2 and either tcp or udp
> connections.  We have tried the -r=1024 fix for udp and that didn't help.

> We use the 2.2-stable box as an NFS client to a NetApp NFS server.  After
> a little while, the FreeBSD box gets into a state where any command that
> causes NFS activity hangs, including a simple "df".  Once in this state,
> the command can not be killed, even with "kill -9" from root.

Which version of Data ONTAP (NetApp OS) are you running??

I have 4.1d talking to 2.2-stable clients and have never had this problem
with nfsv2 (with nfsv3, you get problems, like you cannot build the kernel
on NFS /usr/src/sys because vnode_if.c is built with 4K block of zero bytes.
(If you remove this file, and type make again, it works.)
I have default mount options, and use NetApp for /usr/cvs , /home , and
other actively-used filesystems.

--
old unix hackers don't die, they just turn into zombie processes -- net.someone