Date:      Mon, 06 Aug 2012 11:36:52 -0500
From:      Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about/issues with new OPTIONS framework

On 8/6/2012 11:04 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> 2. ports/KNOBS is very explicit in stating, and even visually
> demonstrating (using pipe symbols to delimit length maximums and so
> on), the following:
>
> #  - Knob description must be 45 characters or less
>
> Yet, a very good number of descriptions violate this (see the file for
> yourself).  I'm inclined to think the limit is to be extra friendly
> towards 80-column terminals, but I'm still not sure.  Is this
> 45-character-limit untrue, or are numerous descriptions blatantly too
> long?

The KNOBS file is deprecated. The new file is Mk/bsd.options.desc.mk,
which has similar length comments and restrictions.

The limit *does* matter as otherwise the description
a) Gets cut off
b) Wraps, causing display issues on 8.x and 7.x.

If you find descriptions that are cut off or wrapping, please do report
them.

Regards,
Bryan Drewery