Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 18:38:48 -0500
From:      "Jason Cribbins" <jasonc@concentric.net>
To:        "Chad Ziccardi" <ziccardi@digitalfreaks.org>
Cc:        "Nick Rogness" <nick@rogness.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unable to get natd/ipfw to work properly

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html
> > using the "traditional" method since the "new" method wouldn't work
> > correctly.
> > I have confirmed the new kernel ident is displayed upon bootup.
> >
> > Now I am back top this again
> > IP packet filtering initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding
> > disabled
> > , default to deny, logging disabled
> >
> > and this as well.
> > 7:58pm mail:~ # ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via lnc0
> > ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid argument
> > 7:58pm mail:~ #
>
> See the "divert disabled" that's why divert isn't working.

But I have options IPDIVERT in my kernel config when I compiled it earlier
today.  I am still compileing another with IPDIVERT and IPFIREWALL.  Only
time will tell if this is what I need or if its something else.

> Also if you've cvsup'd recently and didn't upgrade teh ipfw binary with
teh
> kernel, better do that.

I am unable to do cvs on this machine... The last time I tried it ran for
hours then suddenly ran short of disk space.  Apparently one needs huge
amounts of wasted space on a HD in order to do a make world.  I only have a
520MB SCSI in most of 486 and 586 machines here.  Networking on a budget,
which is why I run BSD and not NT.