Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 1995 14:16:45 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dave Waddell <waddell@posc.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, phk@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More on stand/newfs failure

> about newfs /dev/rsd1a before failing with the message:
>
> Exec (/stand/newfs) failed, code = 5888.
>               < OK >

I think I know the problem.  You have a large disk here, but are using
a very aggressive translation scheme (4MB cylinders would be my
guess).  FreeBSD just plain doesn't deal with this properly, and if
you flipped over to the second screen (ALT-F2) you'd probably see
newfs complaining bitterly about how it wants the fragment/block sizes
to be considerably larger.

We didn't take this into account with the 2.0 installation and didn't
give the user (shame on us) a chance to enter parameters for newfs, or
at the very least pick more intelligent values.  Sigh.  Let me talk to
Poul-Henning and see if we can't generate you a custom set of boot
floppies that don't have this problem!

Thanks!

					Jordan