Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 20:24:06 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Mr Operating System <freebsd@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   question and suggestion

i get complained by the majordomo that however i send my mails, either
freebsd-current or just current i get replied there's something wrong,
but the mail does end to the list i think...

something i do wrong? (i know i just did wrong by posting this to current-
freebsd, but that's just coz of the high fever)

and the suggestion, could it be possible to make a flag or rather something
else like 'make space' that would delete everything that's not needed
if one reinstalls... if there's such a thing already, pardom my lack
of knowledge...

that would allow me to keep installable part of freebsd on a spare place,
and not run out of disk space, since i'm quite low on that, unfortunatelly...

it would be neat, i think, if the stuff would be also tgzed, and then it would
be possible to call individual directory (or one single binary/library)
from the packet if something breaks... 'fix broken_part_here'

since i at the moment assume the weird error i posted here that i get
whenever i try to compile whatever, is caused by the crash i managed to
make somehow two nites ago while mirroring my system to another hd...

everything else though seems to work ok, except make... but i cant be sure

i might even look my suggestion myself since i think it would not be too
hard for even me to do... but i cant promise i have time... and i'm not sure
at all if that's even a suggestion anyone else would like...

all i think it requires is a flag that while installing, also adds the
installed part into the tgz... then a piece of a script that looks from a
proper makefile how the file/derectory is supposed to be installed when fix
is requested... could that info be saved into the tgz, since i think it
could, right? or should it be just 'cd /usr/src/whatever/is/broken' and
there 'make tgzinstall' would do the trick...

should there be a mechanism that would search broken parts? and automaticly
fix them... (on boot?) not that i've broken anything that often, this
was probably the third time, if it was that at all...

ok, i got carried away, sorry, happens when i have a fever, only. =)

mickey
   net/sys admin, aeon net, mickey@aeon.net mika@aeon.net