Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 16:36:21 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels - SSG <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        "'rdmurphy@vt.edu'" <rdmurphy@vt.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: natd and MS Network Neighborhood

I think you have a catch 22 here, but if you could answer a couple questions
it would help.

#1) are you on an NT network or are you using other samba servers, or
non-of-the-above?
#2) is the FBSD machine the master browser? (probably not)
#3) is the laptop on the same subnet as the FreeBSD machine?
#3a) is the laptop on the same subnet as the rest of the network? (probably
not)
#4) can you manually connect to a ms machine on your network?  e.g. open up
explorer and go to \\SAMBA\SHARE (please type something real here).

I believe you can't see the other computers on the network because your are
#1 on a different subnet and #2 behind the natd box.  What both prevent your
laptop from seeing the broadcast messages from the master browser, AND
prevents the master browser from seeing your computer.

I don't believe you can see the FreeBSD machine because, again, you can't
see the master browser and if you can't see the master browser you have no
idea what computers are on the ms network.

I think you may have a way around this but (in all honesty) I need check
this out and get back to you.  Also, the answer depends on the answers to
those questions above.

-Chris