Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:47:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      Helge Oldach <Helge.Oldach@de.origin-it.com>
To:        mremski@ellacoya.com (Michael Remski)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: shutdown -r and reboot

Michael Remski:
>Wondering if anyone else is seeing this:
>Fresh install from 4.2 release ISO image
>everything installs ok,
>custom kernel: Basically GENERIC with ide stripped out (all SCSI system)
>boots and runs fine, usually in X
>linux emulation loaded at boot time
>type in either "shutdown -r now" or "reboot"
>and we get the normal messages upto and including the "Uptime:",
>then the machine hangs.
>If you boot -s, then both commands work,

This has been standard behaviour for me on the selection of HP Vectras
I have used (currently an XA - P166) since The Early Days (aka FreeBSD
2.0.5).

Well, I have seen a little improvement last weekend that may give a
hint: I got annoyed by the problems with the pcn driver (which doesn't
work very well with the XA's built-in PCI NIC - only the "100" port
works on a 10 Mbps hub, and only if it's *not* connected to the hub
during boot-up) and decided to revert to the good old lnc driver for an
experiment.

Indeed the lnc driver worked fine ("using old-style compatability
shims"), however the machine consistently got hung doring "reboot" or
"shutdown -r". Just as you described. Yes, it even got hung after a
"boot -s" and manually ifconfig'ing the NIC. It's definitely related
to just the lnc driver; this was the only kernel change I made.

I reverted to the pcn driver and things are fine again. The machine
reboots as expected, however I still need manual intervention to
disconnect it from the hub during device probe.

BTW, you need to set the "long PCI device reset" option in the BIOS to
force the NIC out of the 32-bit mode used by the pcn driver. Otherwise
you'll get another hang-up as the device doesn't revert to 16-bit mode
automatically. Unfortunately the BIOS wants the device in 16-bit mode or
it gets a hickup.

>I put a couple of printfs in kern_shutdown.c and kern_module.c
>if linux is loaded at boottime, it seems to hang.
>if linux is NOT loaded at boottime, it seems ok (actually reboots)
>if linux is loaded at boottime, but manually unloaded (kldunload -n
>linux.ko),
>it hangs.
>hard reset button, the machine reboots fine, no fsck or anything indicating

No linux module at all in my case. I think starting X11 once was
sufficient to disallow reboot.

Helge