Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 00:48:55 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        jkirby@storagecraft.com
Cc:        'Anthony Naggs' <tony@ubik.demon.co.uk>, 'Quincey Koziol' <koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem books?

Jamey Kirby wrote:
> "practical file system design with the BE file system": 1-55860-497-9

Good.

> "VMS File System Internals": 1-55558-056-4

Good, but esoteric.

> "The Design and Implementation of A Log-Structured File System":
> 0-7923-9541-7

Moderately good.

> "Inside The Windows NT File System": 1-55615-660-X
>
> "Windows NT File System Internals": 1-56592-249-2

I find the Custer books to be lacking.  You have to already
be familiar with FS code to even use this information to
make a read-only NTFS, and you have to be familiar with a
couple of common FS techniques before you can safely write
an NTFS, and then you have to worry about code structure.
I don't hold it against her; they probably wouldn't let her
publish in more detail.

> "Inside The Windows 95 File System": 1-56592-200-X

This is OK, but it's lacking, too.  THe problem is that
it doesn't cover things that they don't tell you about
in the Windows DDK distribution.  In particular, how you
have to support some of the calls that are needed for
the BIOS calls so that you can swap to the FS you add, or
other isseus dealing with local media FS's on Windows.

> There is one more on distributed file system design that I have, but it
> is not on my bookshelf here in my office.

One of the better references is the optional purchase
AIX File System Driver Writer's guide, which includes
documentation on the AIX GFS interface (their VFS switch),
and a floopy with sample code on it.  It's a two volume
set and used to go for about $80.  It covers a lot of
the practical philosophical aspects.

There's always an Internship at Veritas.  8-).

The other real place is the IEEE SIG on file system
design, and the IEE publications there.  Unless you
are an IEEE member, you can't get these, though, but
the publications should be in any large technical library
(e.g. UC Berkeley, IBM Watson Research Center, but probably
not your County or City library or community college library),

My personal preference is to look at technical reports
and scholarly publications:

	http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs

Use the search term "filesystem", and you will get 499
documents.  Use the search term "file system", and you
will get 3981.  I'll avoid listing them here.  8-).

-- Terry