Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 12:08:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        brian@awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SPAM target

> > Basically if I would not be able to reply to a mail sendmail would not
> > deliver it. Yes, some mail is rejected if a host goes down at precisely
> > the wrong instant but that would be uncommon.
>
> I transmit mail from "brian@shift.utell.net" or
> "brian@shift.lan.awfulhak.org" which is a pretend machine behind
> a firewall.  I've got the gateway translating the from address as
> "brian@utell.co.uk" or "brian@awfulhak.org" (which are valid), but
> any smart-arsed mailer is going to say "something's wrong, go away".
> I don't want to screw with my received lines (I don't think that's
> ethical and I'll bet it's not going to be an option supported by
> an m4 config file), but without doing so, I'm sending mail with
> a bad origin.

Actually, here are your relevant "Received:" lines:

|         by awfulhak.demon.co.uk (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id RAA14045;
|         Mon, 5 May 1997 17:09:03 +0100 (BST)

So your SMTP sender is putting "MAIL FROM:<brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>"
into the pipe.

You would only be rejected if you enabled verification on the host
awfulhak.demon.co.uk (the "HELO awfulhak.demon.co.uk" domain offered to
sendmail didn't match the "localhost.lan.awfulhak.org" returned to
sendmail by getpeername() + gethostbyname() name cannonization).

That's the problem with relay hosts: once you are in the pipe, it's
all valid from that point on.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org