Date:      Sun, 15 Jan 2017 08:58:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Robroy Gregg <robroy@robroygregg.com>
To:        Alnis Morics <alnis.moritz@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS: "bad exports list line /home/alnis"

Good day Alnis,

(I second what Aaron Kaufman just mailed in, and I'll add a few more notes
below...)

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017, Alnis Morics wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up a very basic NFS share on 11.0-RELEASE-p7 but I can't
> get beyond the error message "bad exports list line /home/alnis".

Is your /home a symbolic link to /usr/home?  If so, you'll have to export
/usr/home/alnis instead of /home/alnis, or use nullfs(5) to make /usr/home
appear as /home in a way which keeps the NFS server happy.

> My /etc/exports file only has one line:
> /home/alnis 10.0.0.5(rw)

This (rw) part's the default and ought to be left out.  When both /home
and /home/alnis are regular directories (not symbolic links) on my
computer, this exports line works:

    /home/alnis 10.0.0.5

And this exports line doesn't work; it yields the "bad exports list line
/home/alnis," no matter what:

    /home/alnis 10.0.0.5(rw)

> showmount -e
> Exports list on localhost:
> <nothing follows>
>
> /etc/rc.conf:
> rpcbind_enable="YES"
> nfs_server_enable="YES"
> mountd_enable="YES"

You may wish to add two more NFS server lines to your rc.conf:

    rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
    rpc_statd_enable="YES"

I don't think this'll have any bearing on your /etc/exports woes, but on
the NFS client, it will allow programs which try to lock files to function
normally (Firefox used to depend on this working, and maybe still does,
for instance).