Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:22:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      whizkid@ValueDJ.com
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 29160N errors

> The controller is complaining that some device in your system is
> generating
> PCI transactions that cannot be safely decoded because they contain parity
> errors.  Just moving the 160 card won't make this situation go away.  You
> need to find the source of these errors.  Otherwise, you might as well
> live with the message in your dmesg log and go on with life.

At the time of the errors there was and still is only 1 device on the
controller.  I have tried 2 different devices 1 internal 1 external as
well as a handful of different cables.

> Again, this has nothing to do with the SCSI controller, the devices
> attached to it, or anything SCSI specific.  Some other PCI device is
> causing the problem.

the only other PCI device in the machine is the NIC.

> The BIOS for this card may be configuring it to ignore PCI parity
> errors.

That was my guess as well.  The 29160N has parity set to Auto, the
AHA-2940 has no such option.  But I have read about this issue and the
29160N cards with any NIX system, or some BSD system.  Most of the issues
were resolved by moving the card from one PCI slot to another.  My MAIN
concern is that the card controlls my Tape Backup Drive sa0... The last
thing I want to have happen is all my data on the tapes be corrupt and/or
un-Readable due to the parity errors