Date:      Tue, 05 May 1998 14:57:13 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        kris zentner <dksprite@got.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 sysinstall probe problems with ST31621A

> On Sun, 3 May 1998, kris zentner wrote:
>
> > After weeks of effort trying to get FreeBSD 2.2.6 sysinstall to probe my
> > Seagate (aka conner) drive I've found that there seems to be a problem
> > with the sysinstall probing the drive (model number CFS1621A or
> > ST31621A). The the system is as follows:

Just to clarify, it's not Sysinstall probing the drive (as such).  What
happens is that sysinstall goes looking for stuff that the kernel has
found.  The only way it can do this is by trying to open everything
that might exist and remembering which ones work.  It's a pathetic
"poor brother" to DEVFS.

Is the drive itself locking up?  Are you certain that the system is
locked?  Have you tried putting a disk in the Zip?  It's possible that
the Zip is just timing out very slowly.

> > Pentium 166 w/ 32mb ram, awe64 soundcard, hercules stingray 128, Adaptec
> > AHA-1520 scsi controller (running a zip drive)
> > 4.1gig Fujitsu MPA3043AT on primary master
> > 1.6gig Seagate (formerly Conner) ST3121A on primary slave
> > Sony CDU55E 2x CD-ROM on secondary master
> >
> > What seems to happen is that the sysinstall probe will seem to probe the
> > disk(s) during the "probing devices, please wait..." screen and then
> > after about 5 mins either hang (if that drive is connected) or continue.
>
> Well, start pulling disks until it works.  I'd start with the Zip drive;
> sysinstall does NOT like them.

Sysinstall doesn't care one way or the other.  The ATAPI code in the
FreeBSD kernel is a little grubby, and the ATAPI Zip shows up a few
problems with it.  SCSI Zip drives work just fine.