Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 21:30:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Nguyen-Tuong Long Le <le@cs.unc.edu>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FD_SETSIZE

Hi,

I am wondering what is the side effects of increasing FD_SETSIZE
beyond 1024? Our group have a propiertary web server software that
handles a large number of sockets. While increasing the kern.maxfiles
and kern.maxfilesperproc gives our web server more connections,
select() seems to fail if the descriptor is beyond 1024.

Can I just increase FD_SETSIZE and recompile the kernel? I saw
some magic numbers in kern/sys_generic.c and am not sure whether
there are some side effects.

Thanks,
Long

P.S. Please kindly email me because I am not in the list.