Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:52:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      IAccounts <iaccounts@northnetworks.ca>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.3 -> RELENG_4

> [...]
> > is that buildworld will build the system, but not install it. Am I correct
> > in saying that if the world is not installed, then the new config will not
> > be installed either?
>
> I apologize, I'm forgetting things and giving you half-correct information
> all over the place.
> First off ... the handbook is your authoritative reference on this, if
> anything I say conflicts with the handbook, I'm most likely wrong.
>
> buildworld builds everything except the kernel and puts it all in /usr/obj,
> thus there are no changes to your running system.
> buildkernel is similar (it builds the kernel and puts it in /usr/obj) but
> it uses the utilities that are in /usr/obj instead of your running sytem,
> that's why you must always buildworld first.
> At this point, nothing on your running system has changed.  You can buildworld
> and buildkernel on a live system without affecting its operation.
> When you installkernel, it copies /kernel to /kernel.old, then installs the
> kernel it built with buildkernel as /kernel.  It also installs kernel modules
> in the /modules directory.  At this point your system has changed ... but getting
> it back to where it was involves copying /kernel.old to /kernel and /modules.old
> to /modules ... not too hard.
> The changes don't take effect until you reboot, though.  If, apon reboot, things
> don't look good, you can backtrack easily by booting the kernel.old and doing
> the copying described above.
> If everything looks good, you do installworld.  Installworld copys a lot of stuff
> to it's proper place.  I have no idea what all files are altered, but there are
> LOTs of them.  Reverting an installworld is a LOT of work!  But it is doable ...
> I've done it, so don't think that all is lost if something goes wrong, it's just
> that it's probably easier to reinstall the system and restore from backup.
>
> There's a step that I left out: mergemaster.  Mergemaster creates a temporary copy
> of the files that belong in /etc.  (make a backup of /etc before running mergemaster)
> and then allows you to selectively install whatever files you need.  It goes through
> each file that should be in /etc, compares it to what is currently in /etc and tells
> you whether it needs updated or not.
> This is the most difficult and easiest step to screw up.  If you install the new
> /etc/passwd, for example, you'll lose any users you've added, so you'll probably want
> to merge that file in.  Some other examples are /etc/printcap, /etc/group, /etc/hosts.
> On the other hand, there are some startup scripts in /etc that you almost always
> want to update, such as /etc/rc, and everything in /etc/defaults.  This is why it's
> so important to backup /etc before using mergemaster, so you can easily back out of
> a mistake.  Using mergemaster is important!  Don't skip this step.
>
> Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion I created.

First, there are no apologies neccisary, and you did not create confusion,
you actually helped me clear most of it up. Another member suggested that
a #make buildworld will actually allow me to use the new config before
installworld, so that is what I am going to attempt.

When I first submitted my q to the list, I was looking for any and all
ideas/opinions out there. I am attempting to perform tasks that are
clearly spelled out in a different order in the handbook, and your advice
was very useful. If it wasn't for your first couple of responses, I would
not have learned that I can install just 'parts' of the new source by
going into /usr/src/usr.sbin and just make/installing it. I will certainly
have use for this in the near future.

Also, I don't feel that anybody should have to apologize for giving a
response that they afterwards feel was 'wrong' or 'not right'. I know for
a fact that I am guilty of spitting out a response in these lists and
others quickly, sometimes before I even totally realize what the user is
asking.  I'm sure that you have work to do otherwise and spent just the
amount of time helping out here as you can. Sometimes words get jumbled
and things seem confusing, but for me, it seems straight as I'm typing,
but sometimes when I go back and read it, it doesn't seem right.

Your responses are always very good. I follow your threads and you seem to
put a lot of time in.

I apreciate very much the overwhelming support for this OS (and open
source in general). I have personally been MS free for just over one year
now and will never go back thanks to the assistance I get from everyone
here!

Regards,

Steve