Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:42:07 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, marcus@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update to net/gnome-netstatus to support new wlan system in	-CURRENT

--=-yUFwanQv4eVNLWclgzF+

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 10:35 -0700, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Coleman Kane wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 13:18 -0400, Coleman Kane wrote:
> >  =20
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I put together some changes to the net/gnome-netstatus applet to allow
> >> it to detect and work with the new wlan interface system that was just
> >> introduced in CURRENT.
> >>
> >> This new code doesn't identify non-wlanN interfaces as wifi anymore.
> >>
> >> I think it may need some help in getting signal-strength detection
> >> properly using the if_ndis driver. Mine keeps telling me that the sign=
al
> >> strength is always 100% no matter where I walk in my apt.
> >>
> >>    =20
> >
> > Yes, I do mean to actually attach the patch too.
> >
> >  =20
> As I told you previously keying off the ifnet name is a mistake.  What=20
> you can do is check the media status and for any 802.3 interface look=20
> for a backpointer in the MIB to a parent device that must be marked as=20
> an 802.11 device.  Right now this can be defeated if ifnet is renamed=20
> such that you cannot identify the wlanX unity # to find the MIB entry=20
> under net.wlan.X.%parent.
>=20
> Separately you appear to have added "an", "rum", and "ray".  I'm not=20
> sure what this code does but again using ifnet names is a mistake.  In=20
> 7.x you can do a similar search of the net.wlan.X MIB space using the=20
> %parent backpointer to identify an 802.11 device.  wlandebug.c has crude=20
> code you can crib (for 7.x).
>=20
> I don't recall if 6.x has the backpointer in the MIB namespace to use.
>=20
>     Sam
>=20

The original code was written this way, so I was just mimicking it. Your
idea sounds a lot more stable. The addition of the "rum" and "ray"
interfaces is done by the original patch, as the upstream GNOME code
hadn't been written to expect either of those yet. The "an" device isn't
added, it's part of the surrounding text of the patch. You're looking at
a patch-of-a-patch...

Anyhow, I'm not the original author but these changes probably make it
better now than it was before (and my netstatus applet works now). I'll
see if I can find some time to re-implement this properly over the
weekend. We might be able to get more iface info in there as well.

--=20
Coleman Kane

--=-yUFwanQv4eVNLWclgzF+

--=-yUFwanQv4eVNLWclgzF+--