Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:22:47 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: programmer's editor choice

Vigor.  I think Bill Fumerola just put it in the ports too...

<note-to-the-sane>Vigor is scary, yet amusing</note-to-the-sane>
http://www.userfriendly.org for the origins of vigor.

In all seriousness, I've been using emacs for programming, and vi for
config files and they like.  One thing I haven't found yet is a good
html-oriented editor with color syntax highlighting and such, though
I've heard good things about the Amaya web browser.

For cut and paste I run klipper for X, and within emacs there's plenty
of functionality.

Hope I've helped,
Laurence

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> Not to start a war or anything, but i'm trying to decide on a fast
> powerful editor.  I've been using joe, and i just started learning vi,
> and i like it so far.  But there are new editors and new versions of
> vi that seem to have a lot to offer.  I've narrowed it down to vi, an
> enhanced version of vi (vile or vim?) uemacs, or joe.  ANy
> thoughts?  I'd like to be able to cut and paste within the editor and
> between xterms.  I really like the efficiency of vi so far, but i have
> a long ways to go before i am proficient.
>
> -=> jm <=-
>
> "I've done questionable things, also extraordinary things....
> Revel in your time!"

Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for
        32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a
        16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,
        written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for
        1 bit of competition.
http://stuy.debate.net
icq #7434346                    aol imer E1101
The above email Copyright (C) 2000 Laurence Berland
All rights reserved