Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 14:22:34 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Michael or Theresa Fienen <fienen@horizon.hit.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re: freeBSD

On Sat,  2 May 1998 at 23:42:00 -0500, Theresa Fienen wrote:
> PS: Sorry about the bash as FreeBSD in the initial mail, I will probably use it when I set up my ISP.
> ==========================
>> From:    	Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
>> To:        	Theresa Fienen <fienen@horizon.hit.net>; freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>> Subject:    	Re: freeBSD
>> Date:    	Sat, May 2, 1998 11:33 PM
>>
>> On Sat,  2 May 1998 at 21:52:00 -0500, Theresa Fienen wrote:
>>> HELP!!!! Your system has screwed up my computer! I was attempting to
>>> install the os onto my computer...things were going fine, but now I
>>> haven't a way to access my Windows 95 and the FreeBSD is not
>>> entirely installed and I can't remove it. What do I have to do to
>>> completely erase every file associated with FreeBSD and restore my
>>> original Windows 95? This is utterly important to me to get fixed
>>> ASAP.
>>
>> Sorry, we're not very experienced in removing FreeBSD and installing
>> Microsoft products.  I'd suggest you look at your Microsoft
>> documentation.  Here are some possibilities:
>>
>> 1.  Boot Microsoft from diskette and check the partition table with
>>    Microsoft's FDISK program.  If you find a Microsoft partition
>>    (type 4: primary), mark it bootable and reboot.
>>
>> 2.  If you have accidentally overwritten your Microsoft partitions,
>>    reinstall and restore your data from the backup.
>>
>>    If this is what happened, it's due to lack of caution on your
>>    part.  Installing *any* software which manipulates the partition
>>    table has the potential to shoot yourself in the foot.  Don't
>>    blame it on the software.
>>
>> Of course, maybe you want to keep FreeBSD after all?  In that case,
>> let us know what hardware you have, how far you have got with the
>> installation, and how you are trying to install it.
>
> I ran fdisk to get the partition info, it gave me this:
> Partition	Status	Type	Volume Label	Mbytes	System 	Usage
>      1              A         Non-DOS                                        1628		 100%
>
> This was all I could get it to give me. If I try to set an active
> partition it tells me the only partition is already active and if I
> try to create a new one it says there's no room....does any of this
> help at all?

Well, it tells me what's happened.  I presume that "Non-DOS" is
Microsoft's answer to any partition type except its own, and in this
case is type 165 (FreeBSD).  This is possibility (2): you have
overwritten your entire disk while installing FreeBSD, so you'll have
to reinstall Microsoft and read in your backup.  If you *do* want to
continue with FreeBSD, you could consider partitioning the disk with
space for both operating systems.

Greg