Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 14:20:08 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Paul A. Howes" <pahowes@fair-ware.com>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question about the "make clean" target..

[ Please use plain text when posting to mailing lists ]

> It appears that when I perform a "make clean" for a given port,
> this target is executed for all of the dependencies of that port.
> I was under the impression that "make clean-depends" was used
> for this purpose.  Am I wrong?

'clean-depends' is used to clean dependencies.
'clean' removes work/ _and_ also cleans dependences, unless NOCLEANDEPENDS
is set.

> Also, The Handbook refers to a
> "make distclean" target for ports, which I do not see listed in the
> "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk" makefile.  Was this target deprecated
> at some earlier point in time?

No, this target is present (around line 2250), but isn't documented in the
list of targets near the beginning of the file.

--
Matt Emmerton