Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2003 07:58:09 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Necessary to Reconfigure New XFree86 If No Changes?

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 05:40:30PM -0400, Bob Perry wrote:
> A while ago, I deinstalled XFree86-4.X and installed XFree86 3.X in=20
> error.  Not sure of the version number of the original 4.X package, but=
=20
> I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE and I installed XFree86-4.X=20
> when I installed the operating system.  When I discovered the error, I=20
> deinstalled the 3.X version (before configuring it) and then installed=20
> the most recent XFree86-4.3.0,1.  I ran startx (without configuring=20
> anything) and everything seemed fine.

Yes --- the XF86Config file you have now would have been automatically
generated when you did the original system installation.  So long as
you haven't changed your hardware you won't need to regenerate that
file as you update to more recent versions of XFree86-4.x
=20
> Today, I installed a new mouse (two button w/wheel) but the wheel wasn't=
=20
> functioning.  Someone had earlier requested help with a similar problem=
=20
> and they were advised to edit their /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.  I don't=
=20
> have a XF86Config-4 file, just a XF86Config file.  I've made more than=20
> my share of bone-head moves with FreeBSD and I'm wondering now if should=
=20
> have configured XFree86-4.3.0,1.  Is there an obvious way to tell?

Take a look at the XF86Config(5) man page.  There are a large number
of variations on the config file name and a whole list of different
places in the filesystem that X will search for it's configuration
file.  In short, it doesn't matter if the file is called XF86Config-4
or just plain XF86Config -- add the suggested edits to whichever one
of those two you have.

If X is working at all and you have a screen resolution and colour
depth that suits you, then your XF86Config file needs no alteration.
Take a look at /var/log/XFree.0.log -- it's fairly long, but the
interesting point is the marker at the beginning of each line showing
where each setting comes from.  X will try and probe your hardware to
discover as much information about your system as it can, so in a
sense the less you have to explicitly tell it in the XF86Config file
the better.  Unfortunately one of the things that X can't detect
entirely reliably is the layout of buttons, wheels etc. on the mouse.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way