Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:16:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        Claude Menski <claude.menski@gmail.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I like Ubuntu

--0-734569073-1176578171=:73976

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> doug@safeport.com writes:
>> First my experience with [Free]BSD as a server completely mirrors
>> Dag-Erling's observation, it [mostly] just works. I started with BSDI
>> switching to FreeBSD around 3.5. I think it is also true that
>> depending on your hardware a FreeBSD workstation or laptop can be a
>> bit of a challenge.
>
> My issues with FreeBSD as a desktop mostly come from the difficulty of
> installing software and keeping it up-to-date: 'pkg_add -r' and
> 'portupgrade -aP' simply can't hold a candle to 'apt-get install' and
> 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

Because of my background, the things that were/are wrong with packages and =
ports=20
led me to learn much more about FreeBSD. I chose to answer your email not=
=20
because of any disagreement with what you said, but to offer up the idea th=
at at=20
least in selected instances there might be something to learn from doing th=
is.

In my case this included leaning to think in 'Unix', and reaching an=20
understanding with (rather than of) regular expressions, sed, and awk.

My workstation/laptop hardware does not really allow the option of building=
=20
things like KDE and OpenOffice, so I upgrade basically by starting over wit=
h=20
packages. I usually can do this in an hour or so. When I first started, I f=
ound=20
the differences between BSDI, FreeBSD, and Linux confusing. Now mostly its =
more=20
of an irritant than having to use my son's mac to watch ESPN videos.
--0-734569073-1176578171=:73976--