Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:11:20 +0000
From:      Mike Bristow <mike@urgle.com>
To:        "N.B. DelMore" <mylists@inr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple IP addresses

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 04:34:23AM -0500, N.B. DelMore wrote:
> I then added an entry in /etc/rc.local to run the following shell script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> /sbin/ifconfig lo0 xxx.xxx.xxx.0 netmask 0xffffff00 alias
> /sbin/ifconfig lo0 xxx.xxx.xxx.1 netmask 0xffffffff alias
> /sbin/ifconfig lo0 xxx.xxx>xxx.2 netmask 0xffffffff alias
>
> through
>
> /sbin/ifconfig lo0 198.77.215.255 netmask 0xffffffff alias

Looks like a job for netalias: see
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=12071

apply, rebuild, and then you just need:
ifconfig lo0 xxx.xxx.xxx.0 netmask 0xffffff00 alias

which will configure the whole network up.

It would be nice if this was in the canonical source; large
web farms (using HTTP/1.0 or SSL) would find this kind of ability
very useful - it's much faster than doing things with ipfilter and
suchlike.

It's been in use at Demon Internet for years.

--
Mike Bristow, Geek At Large	         ``Beware of Invisible Cows''