Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:41:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Francois E Jaccard <fjaccard@runbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: em0: Intel Pro/1000MT is not working!

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Francois E Jaccard wrote:

Indeed, the simple fix for this problem was to disable PnP OS.
Now, the em0 NIC is recognized well as expected and works fine.

Thanks.
:>At 09/10/2002 15:03, Hartmann, O. wrote:
:>>Hello.
:>>
:>>I got a problem with a Intel Pro/1000MT NIC on a FreeBSD 4.7-RC box
:>>(cvsupdated yesterday).
:>>
:>>When booting, kernel reports the following:
:>>
:>>em0: <Intel (R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version 1.3.14> at device
:>>16.0 on pci0
:>>em0: Memory Access and/or Bus Master bits were not set!
:>>em0: Unable to allocate bus resource: memory
:>>em0: Allocation of PCI resources failed
:>>device_probe_and_attach: em0 and attach returned 6
:>>
:>>The mainboard is a new VIA A7V333 (KT333 chipset), disabled RAID controller.
:>>Also atached: LSI Logic 21040 U160 SCSI controller (also 64 Bit/33 Mhz in 32
:>>Bit PCI slot).
:>>
:>>I disabled IEEE1394 device by jumper, USB2.0 and the Promise RAID chip,
:>>I tried the Intel PRO/1000MT NIC in each possible PCI slot, but no chance,
:>>it does not work. The I tried to assign an IRQ explicitely by BIOS setting
:>>to a specific PCI slot the NIC resides in. No effect.
:>>Due to the use of SCSI both IDE controllers are disabled, APIC mode is
:>>enabled,
:>>parallel and both serial ports are disbaled, so their IRQs should be free.
:>>
:>>Can anyone help? We plan to order more Intel PRO/1000MT Server Adapters for
:>>all of our FreeBSD boxes. What makes the NIC working improper?
:>>
:>>At this moment I'm sorry not offering dmesg-output, but without a working NIC
:>>it's not possible to offer the whole dmesg output (later!).
:>>
:>>I tried the NIC in a normal PC/Windows 2000 system and it works fine. The only
:>>thing I did not check is whether there is something to switch within the BIOS/
:>>Firmware of the NIC itself.
:>>
:>>Can anyone help?
:>>
:>>Thanks in advance,
:>>Oliver
:>>
:>>--
:>>MfG
:>>O. Hartmann
:>>
:>>ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
:>>------------------------------------------------------------------
:>>IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
:>>------------------------------------------------------------------
:>>Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
:>>Becherweg 21
:>>55099 Mainz
:>>
:>>Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)
:>>Tel: +496131/3924144 (Buero)
:>>FAX: +496131/3923532
:>>
:>>
:>>To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
:>>with "unsubscribe freebsd-hardware" in the body of the message
:>
:>Hi,
:>I had something similar on one of my boxes. I changed the bios setting
:>"Plug and Play OS" to no so that the bios gives the IRQ to the card and it
:>worked :)
:>The card was a 3Com 3C905B IIRC...
:>
:>Regards,
:>--
:>Francois Jaccard
:>Public Key: http://keys.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x11CA35A6
:>PGP Key Fingerprint:7268 1690 7448 0FE4 0B40  3BD6 E550 CBCE 11CA 35A6
:>ICQ: 270437
:>
:>