Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:59:48 +0200
From:      Jan Kunzmann <DerMurx@gmx.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Resolver problem (or bug?)

Hi there,

I have a small private network, with a well configured BIND on a linux
box (working reliable for years) serving my internal domain. Recently I
set up a new server with FreeBSD 4.0. Everything works fine except for
that strange resolver problem: It seems not to append the domain name to
stripped host names.

If I do a "telnet linux.murx.int" (host names according to the
configuration files below) from the bsd-box everything is fine. But if I
do a "telnet linux" I have to wait more than a minute til the login
prompt is displayed.

First time I noticed this behavior, I assumed a nameserver problem so I
let the BIND log all requests. The debug log revealed that the BSD box
sends querys for "linux" to the nameserver instead of appending the
domain and querying for "linux.murx.int" or check the /etc/hosts file
first! The BIND, of course, can't translate this name and queries its
forwarders (which are unreachable since the network is not online).

Same with any other host lookups from the BSD box. Eg, if I do a "telnet
bsd.murx.int" from any other host in my network, I have to wait for the
dns timeout after the passwort prompt... BIND log reveales: the BSD box
is looking up the stripped host name of the telnet source (maybe for
logging purpose in the login program).

Strange, isn't it? Had anybody similar problems or - even better - a
solution? For now, I removed the nameserver entry from
/etc/resolve.conf, but this can't be a reasonable solution...

My configuration files:

--- /etc/host.conf
hosts
bind