Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:29:40 +0800
From:      "Derek Barrett" <derekbarrett@graffiti.net>
To:        <dmiller@sparks.net>, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID: Adaptec vs Mylex

I have no experience with Adaptec SCSI, but
we chose the Adaptec 2400A (ATA) for a new box
because of its friendly compatibility. FreeBSD instantly
recognizes the card, and Adaptec has built native FreeBSD
management utilities that will pretty painlessly install onto
an X desktop. (Well sometimes the instructions are
hard to find -- gotta look in the release notes,
not the manual -- but once you find them, you can
just add a package and run a setup script).

One caveat with this card is that, if you chose RAID10,
you can only have a stripe size of 64K. So for those of
you running a database where you need a smaller block size,
like 8 or 16, you would need to run RAID5, which is what
we are running, even though we wanted RAID10.

Though being a newbie to RAID10, I am thinking that
having a smaller stripe size on RAID10 would negate its
speed advantage anyway?

Does anyone use a smaller stripe size on their RAID10 than 64K?