Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:40:15 -0400
From:      mgruver@reveregroup.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jan@smartsoft.cc
Subject:   Re: I think I have a DNS caching problem...

Jan,

Thank you so much for your response.  Actually I have Greg Lehey's excellent
book (I bought the whole BSDi Powerpak).  And believe me, it gets better by the
day (the more I understand it's wisdom).  In fact, I attempted the road you
suggested first (before I went the tinyproxy route), however when I rebooted
after recompiling and Kernel and adding the rc.conf natd and firewall variables,
all IP communication to and from the server ceased.  I could not ping it, and I
could not ping out by DNS name or IP.  The old "unknown host" deal.

Now, one thing I did not try was the custom firewall_type=/etc/ipfw.conf you
suggested.  I had already tried direct rules in the rc.conf and passing the
"open" parm to the firewall_type.  No joy.

I agree with your first statement though.  The more I work with this thing the
less and less it appears to be a DNS thing.  And you are right, I do want to use
my ISPs DNS server and not my own (I think).

I think I may give the ipfw.conf thing a try.

BTW, I am feeling pretty Kneppie!

Mike

jan@smartsoft.cc wrote:

What you have does not sound to me like a DNS caching problem. Starting 'named'
does
not make much sence if you are not doing your own DNS as far as I can tell.

What you need to do it setup NAT (Network Address Translation).

In case you have the book "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey, I suggest you go
page 506 and futher.
In case you don't... Buy it! It's worth it! But I will give you in short what to
do:

1.    Configure kernel with:
options    IPFIREWALL
options    IPDIVERT

2.    Make sure your system is running as gateway:    /etc/rc.conf
defaultrouter="a.b.c.d" # IP of Cable modem?!
gateway_enable="YES"

3.    Make sure your interface(s) are running.
ifconfig -a ???

4.    Make sure you have the following entry in /etc/services:
natd     8668/divert # Network Address Translation

5.    Make sure your firewall is setup as in /etc/rd.conf
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type=/etc/ipfw.conf

6.    Make /etc/ipfw.conf
add 100 divert natd all from any to any via <your interface to internet!>
add 200 pass all from any to any

7.    Enable NAT in /etc/rc.conf:
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="<your interface to internet!>

REBOOT! (with a kernel with IPFIREWALL!)

HTH

Don't worry, be Kneppie!
Jan

mgruver@reveregroup.com wrote:

> I am a FreeBSD Newbie who recently installed Version 4.4 on a small server.  I
> am using it as a dual-homed host?, or gateway?, or NAT/Firewall for a LAN in
my
> home.  I installed 4.4 pretty bare-bones on a Pentium 90 with two ethernet
cards
> in it.  One was connected to my Road Runner Motorola cable modem and
configured
> for DHCP.  The other was connected into the hub and given a 192.168.x.x
> non-routable.
>
> I edited the /etc/rc.conf with vi to verify the gateway_enabled="YES" and
> natd_enabled="YES" and natd_interface=dc0 (yes is is a cheat Netgear card but
> the other one is a 3Com!).  I specifically did not enable the firewall
keywords
> or recompile the Kernel with the IPFIREWALL IPDIVERT options.  I had a bad
> experience over the past few weeks with that (which I won't go into).
>
> I edited the /etc/hosts file (which after additional experimentation I don't
> think I needed to do that) and went back to the /stand/sysinstall and loaded a
> little goody I found in /usr/local/sbin/tinyproxy -a Host: -a Authorization:
and
> had a working http proxy server for my Windows 9X systems in the house (they
all
> work after setting the proxy setting in IE with the 192.168.x.x IP of the
server
> and the port to 8080).
>
> However, the problem is DNS name queries (I hope I am using the correct term
> here) fail from inside the LAN.  I can ping hosts by name (www.interland.com)
> from the server, however I can't from the Windows boxes inside.
>
> I started the named daemon (with no options) but that hasn't helped.
>
> BTW, my paltry FreeBSD server/config has already resisted three (3) seperate
> intrusion attempts in less than 24 hours!
>
> Any ideas?...
>
> Thanks,
>
> mgruver@reveregroup.com

Jan Knepper