Date:      Fri, 5 May 2000 12:54:23 -0400
From:      jfreeze@qx.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Optimizing Kernel for K6-2

Date: Fri, May 5 2000 12:56:10 GMT-0400

I am trying to optimize my kernel for my K6-2/450 processor.
From looking at the lint kernel, I see three basic changes.
These changes are listed below.
My question is, "Am I doing the right thing by making these changes?".

Thanks
Jim

# (1) comment out all but the I586 option
#   I've read that commenting out uneeded processors is good
#   but what does this really buy me?
# CPU OPTIONS
#
#cpu             "I386_CPU"
#cpu             "I486_CPU"
cpu             "I586_CPU"              # aka Pentium(tm)
#cpu             "I686_CPU"              # aka Pentium Pro(tm)

# (2) Add the write alloc option. Does this speed things up?
# CPU_WT_ALLOC enables write allocation on Cyrix 6x86/6x86MX and AMD
# K5/K6/K6-2 cpus.

options "CPU_WT_ALLOC"

# (3) Add the no memory hole option. Don't really know what this does
# NO_MEMORY_HOLE is an optimisation for systems with AMD K6 processors
# which indicates that the 15-16MB range is *definitely* not being
# occupied by an ISA memory hole.

options "NO_MEMORY_HOLE"