Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:15:48 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird Linux / nameserver interaction

Ok, here's an odd one . . .

I'm running a local nameserver on FreeBSD so that when I have VPN access
up I can get internal names from my workplace's name server but external
names from my ISP's name server.

This works just peachy for serving up names to FreeBSD programs, but
when I run Linux Netscape* it can't resolve any names via the name
server.  That is, if /etc/resolv.conf points to 127.0.0.1, then FreeBSD
apps find names just fine, but Linux apps to do not.

If /etc/resolv.conf points to 24.93.67.64 (my ISP's name server), then both
of them resolve external names just fine, but of course cannot resolve names
internal to my workplace's network.

Since none of the sites that I really need to use Netscape for (mostly
java-using sites) are within SAS, I have a reasonably satisfactory workaround
by creating a /usr/compat/linux/etc/resolv.conf that points to the
24.93.67.64 nameserver while the "real" resolv.conf points to 127.0.0.1,
but I still find the behavior rather puzzling.

Any ideas?

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org