Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:59:51 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Michael Oehler <mjo@tycho.ncsc.mil>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIGSEG -- JDK 1.1.8 & 1.1.7 for FreeBSD

> I am running   FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE #2.
> Whenever I use any of the JDK executables javac or javadoc,
>                           I get an OS exception.
>
> Has anyone encourntered this before?
> Is it an ELF issue?
> Missing a shared lib?
> Does the JDK execute/been tested with FreeBSD 3.2?

Of course.

> 1. I'm using: jdk1.1.8_ELF.V99-6-3.tar.gz

Hmm, that should work fine.  Is it possible that somehow LD_LIBRARY
and/or CLASSPATH is incorrectly setup and causing the wrong libraries
and/or jar files to be picked.  Or, maybe JAVA_HOME/JDK_HOME is setup
incorrectly.  Please check your environment to make sure nothing weird
is being set (possibly for kaffe or something like that).

> 2. The JDK scripts work fine (/usr/local/jdk1.1.8/javac), the correct
> environment
> variables get exported, and
> /usr/local/jdk1.1.8/bin/i386/green_threads/java
> gets executed with the right arguments.
> 3. I also tried the ld-elf.so.1 as posted on the FreeBSD web page.

It shouldn't be necessary on 3.2 or the new version of the JDK.

Nate