Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:51:43 +0100
From:      cpghost <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Lars Udo <lars.udo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mini-Freebsd system on ram, to reduce noise?

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 09:10:55PM +0200, Lars Udo wrote:
> Hello, fellow FreeBSD-users. I'm planning to build MiniBSD (from freebsd)
> with, these instructions: https://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html
> i'v red it few times and came to realize, that if i could get that
> small FreeBSD why wouldnt i run it in RAM?
>
> It would reduce noise-level here in my livingroom, so thats all i need,
> beside NAT/Firewall :)

That's not exactly the answer you're seeking here... but for the
sake of people searching the archives:

Contrary to popular belief, HDDs are not always the biggest noise
makers, unless they're very old. The fans transmitting vibrations
to the PC case are usually the worse culprits. I'm using a fanless
EPIA-5000 (VIA C3) mini-ATX board with an attached Samsmung HDD
in my living room. The disk, despite being the only source of noise
and over 2 1/2 years old, is barely audible. In fact, the head seeking
is the loudest and it's still barely a whisper. That's ideal for a very
silent server/desktop PC and is also a good power saver. Of course
all HDDs do get louder over time; but with the right kind of enclosure
and dampening suspensions (a.k.a. ribbon bands), it's still very quiet.

Regards,
-cpghost

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/