Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 23:06:18 -0700
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fwd: MS Outlook data transfer

> On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, MET wrote:
>
>> I've been using Outlook for the past few years now (yell at me later)
>> and have recently picked up a brand new laptop which I'm installing
>> FreeBSD on today.  What I'm basically wondering.....is there a way to
>> get all of my massive archived mail from my Win2k desktop running
>> Outlook onto a good GUI mailer app for FreeBSD (Evolution preferably) ?
>> Or am I just going to have to start from scratch ?
>>

>> - Matthew

The most important thing is to KEEP OUTLOOK RUNNING until you get the
mail
out of it!  Outlook itself is the only thing that knows how to extract
mail from a .pst file reliably.

There's a couple of ways to go, depending on what your goal is.  You can
do an export from Outlook to a variety of formats; Netscape is probably
closest to a standard Unix mbox.

Or, my preference, if you're going to set up an IMAP server in BSD, go
ahead and do that.  Then you can connect to it from your Windows box, set
up an account within Outlook, and just drag and drop the messages
directly.  Very convenient.

KeS