Date:      Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:44:11 -0500
From:      Ash <omniBSD@speakeasy.net>
To:        modelt20@canada.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Acrobat Reader 7.0

modelt20@canada.com wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On the Adobe website, there are two packages for
> Acrobat Reader 7 that can be retrieved, one is a
> .tar.gz, and the other is a .rpm. RPM files
> are normally for RedHat, and the other is probably a
> general linux file.
>
>>From your list of required files, I notice you list a
> requirement of rpm-3.0.6 9. Does this mean I should
> download the RPM version? Is there a reason for one
> instead of the other?
>
> When the package is downloaded, do I just use the
> command
>               pkg_add -r acroread
> (that is, after I expand the file if necessary)?
>
> Or do I need to do a
>               make install clean
> in the directory created by the expansion?
>
> I have been seeing PDF files created in versions of
> Acrobat later than 5, and they won't open in AcroRead5.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Harold

Acrobat7 is in the ports tree.

Assuming you do not have an earlier version of Acrobat Reader installed,
then all you have to do to install Acrobat Reader 7 on your FreeBSD
system is:

# cd /usr/ports/print/acroread7
# make
# make install

It above will automagically take care of everything for you. You will
probably want to make sure that your ports tree is up to date before
trying to install Acroread7. Refer to the handbook for more information:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

-Ash