Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 01:01:35 +0100
From:      Olivier Dony <olivier@blacktrap.net>
To:        Sergey Mokryshev <mokr@mokr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting an OpenPAM module to work on 5.0-RELEASE

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 08:03:54PM +0300, Sergey Mokryshev wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Olivier wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to write a MySQL authentication PAM module to be used with
> > Cyrus-imapd2 and salsauthd, since pam-mysql is broken wrt OpenPAM.
> > I started from the base modules source and added mysql code in it. The problem
> > is to get the compiled shared library to work.
> >
> Hi.
>
> Try to build native "auxprop" saslauthd mysql module.
> It removes the need of extra abstraction layer (PAM) and permits SASL
> special authentications (CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5 etc).

Ah yes, I thought about that too, but this stuff isn't documented at all it
seems, and I need to be able to use blowfish for password encryption, because
this has to be used with some other appplcations which are using crypt() and
blowfish. From what I understand the saslauthd mysql module allows only to
compare the given plaintext user whith another plaintext one stored in a DB.
That won't work for me. But I don't understand much of this auxprop/mysql
stuff, so I am probably mistaken, and would be most pleased to get
explanations about how I can do this.

Actually I had patched pam_mysql (on FreeBSD 4.x when pam_mysql was still
working, to be able to use blowfish correctly with FreeBSD's crypt(), but my
problem is really to get an OpenPAM module to work, I even tried to simply
rename the pam_permit one, but have the same problem: openpam_load_module
won't find/open it now matter what...

Thanks a lot for your suggestions :-)

Olivier