Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:23:58 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Storing UFS snapshots externally?

--------------enigA775BEB77B91DB4D333D9DF6

Daniel E. Lynn wrote:
> Greetings all,
>=20
> First, let me apologize if this has been asked before. If it has then m=
y=20
> search skills must be lacking because I couldn't seem to find it in the=
=20
> lists anywhere.
>=20
> I'm wondering if it is feasible to store snapshots for UFS on a separat=
e=20
> drive, and if so if there is an advisable way of doing it. The basic=20
> idea is that I'd like to be able to mitigate any write overhead of usin=
g=20
> a lot of snapshots by using a separate disk for them entirely. Here's=20
> the proposed setup:
>=20
> FreeBSD (/) is on ad0
> Homedirs and userdata (/data) is on gm0 (ad2+ad3 mirrored)
>=20
> I've been successfully using snapshots for /data, and the overhead on=20
> this system doesn't seem too bad (yet) but if I have more than a dozen =

> snapshots, I get the feeling it could get messy. It'd be great if I=20
> could store the snapshots for /data on / someplace.=20

UFS snapshots don't copy the data into the "snapshot" file - they just=20
adjust internal references in the file system. The big file you get when =

you create the snapshot isn't really a file in the traditional sense -=20
it consists of file system internal pointers to real data. Simplified,=20
when data gets changed on the "real" file system, *then* the old data=20
gets a separate copy in the snapshot.

In short, there's no way other than manually copying (dd, tar) the data=20
from the snapshot to wherever.