Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:53:59 -0600
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        Jonathan Franks <daemon@taconic.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Trouble with 'portsdb -uU' and ld-elf.so...

Jonathan Franks wrote:
> Joe Altman wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:07:19AM -0600, Eric Schuele wrote:

  <snip lots>

>>> If I have broken my ports tree.... is it possible to recreate it
>>> correctly?  Maybe delete it and reinstall off CD then cvsup it?
>>>

>> No, you don't need to do a complete reinstall, IMO; you do need to
>> update your source, perhaps even desperately.
>>

>  From what I've heard, portsdb -Uu is not preferred in 5.3, rather one
> should do make fetchindex in /usr/ports then run portsdb -u afterwards.
> I've only HEARD that this is correct, but it worked for me..... so make
> of it what you will....

ahh yes.. I've run across a msg or two mentioning this... but that was
before I was trying to solve this problem so I was not paying close
attention at the time.

I just tried it.  I did a fresh cvsup, then the 'make fetchindex' (which
pulled something out of the ether)... and then a 'portsdb -u'.  The
portsdb finished almost immediately and provided no output!? good? bad?
dunno.  So I moved on to 'pkgdb -F' which went well. I am currently
watching the portupgrade do its thing.  It takes a while because I have
OpenOffice installed.  I'll post back with my results.

Thanks for the assistance.
--
Regards,
Eric