Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 19:38:29 -0500
From:      Alex Heiphetz <heiphetz@cvzoom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: / partition

At 09:04 PM 1/29/99 +0000, you wrote:
>On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Dennis I. Kovarsky wrote:
>
>>How do I find out which directories are part of my "/" partition?
>>Which directories HAVE to be in the "/" and can not be moved?
>
>You have to look at your system and look at /etc/fstab.
>
>You will see in fstab en entry for /, /usr, /var. Cd to / and do ls. All
>of the dirs that you see in / that are not /usr or /var actually belong to
>the / filesystem.
>
>But be careful, some of those are links. For example, /home is actually a
>link to /usr/home.

It depends on which partitions you created (or that were created for you)
during installation. I for one, in addition to abovementioned
/, /usr and /var have /src and (real!) /home. In addition system creates /proc
regardless. To make long things short: type df at the prompt and you
will see all real partitions.

Regards,
A.Heiphetz