Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:21:44 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Mario Doria <mariodoria@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Remote dumps

Mario Doria <mariodoria@yahoo.com> types:
> --- Kory Hamzeh <kory@avatar.com> wrote:
> > It works very much like dump does, you just include the remote hostname
> > before the tape device. For example:
> >
> > 	rdump dumpoptions remotename:remotetapedevicename localfilesystemname
> >
> Now, how can I do rdumps over SSH? With it, I can identify using a pair of keys
> with no password. It is insecure, but no as much. Am I wrong here?

Whether or not you'r wrong depends on what you're trying to secure. If
the goal is to keep people from sniffing the dump, the ssh is more
secure. If the goal is to keep root on the machine dumping from
accessing the remote machine, then they are equally bad.

On the other hand, doing tape operations over the network is sorta
slow. I haven't been able to test, but you might get faster backups
doing something like:

dump dumptions -f - | ssh remotemachine dd of=remotetapedevicename bs=blocksize

If you do some tests of this, please let us know the results.

	<mike