Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 21:48:16 -0700
From:      Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: uaudio ?

--==========3710278336==========

Thanks for the quick response Ronald.

--On Monday, October 14, 2002 01:48:28 +0200 Ronald Klop=20
<ronald@klop.yi.org> wrote:

> 'locate uaudio' gives me /modules/snd_uaudio on 4.7-STABLE.
> Try 'kldload snd_uaudio' or load it in combination with snd_pcm. And look
> at 'man pcm'.

Ok, I think I have half a clue now.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The snd_uaudio module may be loaded manually, automatically at boot
via boot.conf, or automatically when an audio device is plugged in
via usbd.conf.  When loaded, it becomes the next available pcm device.
Before using it, you should cd to /dev and './MAKEDEV sndX' for the
appropriate value of X to create the device nodes.  They you can use
it just like any other sound device.

BUT I'm getting some funny behavour on the kldload.  Here's a
transcript:

root@orwell.1001> kldstat -n snd_uaudio
kldstat: can't find file snd_uaudio: No such file or directory
root@orwell.1002> kldload snd_uaudio
kldload: can't load snd_uaudio: Exec format error
root@orwell.1003> kldstat -n snd_uaudio
kldstat: can't find file snd_uaudio: No such file or directory
root@orwell.1004> kldload snd_uaudio
kldload: can't load snd_uaudio: File exists
root@orwell.1005> kldstat -n snd_uaudio
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 8    1 0xc2768000 6000     snd_uaudio.ko

And if I try to immediately kldunload it, it claims to be busy.

AND when I try to actually play something through the new sound
device, the system immediately goes into a hard wedge and has to
be power-cycled to break out.

It would be helpful to have a list of devices known to work.  (And
one of devices known not to work...)  Both of the USB audio devices
I have are also HID devices; if that matters at all.  (So far I've
only tested the one - the other is currently physically too far away
from the machine I'm testing with.)

Thanks,
-Pat