Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 2016 15:33:54 +0000
From:      krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
Cc:        questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Switch from legacy to UEFI boot??

The conversion I did was pretty easy, but then I was starting from a GPT
layout in the 1st place. I basically unmounted swap, stole 100M from the 4G
partition, remounted swap, and then dd'd the /boot/boot1.efifat file to the
new small partition. rebooted and all came up. I was doing this from the
latest stable though. Just make sure you have performed a  "svnup stable"
in the last few days and done a source upgrade and you should be good.

It is possible to convert a MBR layout to GPT, but it does require downtime
and backup as if you get it wrong you could easily loose your partitions